Welcome to YPT’s Newsies Auditions!
Sunday, February 17
Monday, February 18
Tuesday, February 19
Wednesday, February 20
Monday, February 25 (Full cast called)
K – 12th Grade
331 Metty Drive, Suites #2 and #3
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(*Sign-Ups will open on Thursday, January 31 at 7:00 am)
AUDITION REGISTRATION DETAILS:
- NAME: Please enter the name of the young person auditioning (rather than the parent’s name) when signing up for an audition appointment.
- SUG ACCOUNT: If you are signing up with your own Sign-Up Genius account, please select the option to display your young person’s name instead of your own.
- EMAIL ADDRESS: Enter a parent/family email address as the primary email contact. There is a space to add your auditioner’s email address if you wish.
- AGE-SPECIFIC AUDITION APPOINTMENTS: Appointments are arranged K-4th Grade and 5th-12th Grade. Incorrect age bracket sign-ups are bounced by the system.
AUDITION PREPARATION AND PAPERWORK
Please read carefully to ensure your success in every stage of YPT’s Newsies auditions!
Prepare a selection of music:
- 16 bars (approximately 30 seconds long)
- Preferably memorized
- A musical theater song
- Songs from Newsies are welcome but not required
- Bring two copies of the sheet music (accompaniment version) with “start” and “stop” clearly marked for the pianist.
- Auditioners will be reading from the Newsies script.
- Audition Readings.
- Auditioners will be taught a short dance combination. Come dressed to move!
- The following footwear is permitted in the dance studio: bare feet, jazz shoes, and clean, dry tennis shoes (not the ones you wore outside).
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR AUDITION
1. Prepare and bring 4 audition packets of the following typed forms, stapled together in the following order. (Click on each item to access the form.)
- Fill-in Format: Type the form online, print it, and include a copy of it in each of your 4 audition packets. Feel free to attach resume! Make sure that you fill out each section of the Audition Form carefully.
- Important: To type the forms online, we recommend you use Chrome or Internet Explorer as your browser, not Firefox or Safari. You can also right-click in each document after you open it and select the option to open the form with Adobe Reader instead.
Rehearsal Conflict Calendar – Important:
- Type this form online, print it, and include a copy of it in each of your 4 audition packets.
- Be complete, accurate, and thorough on this form. Triple-check that you have included all conflicts.
- Make and keep a copy for yourself
Recent Photo of Yourself (may be a copy). Staple the photo facing the opposite direction as the forms in your audition packet, so that when a director flips the packet over, s/he will see your photo.
2. YPT Newsies Policies and Procedures Contract: 1 copy signed by parent and auditioner.
3. Sheet Music: 2 copies
Plan to arrive with your forms carefully completed and copied ahead of time.
This expedites the audition process for all! Failure to come prepared results in a late and stressful start to your audition.
If the audition slots for one or both age groups fill, please register for the Wait List through this Sign Up Genius Link:
Preparation Advice: Getting ready to audition for Newsies? A successful audition involves so much more than ability or talent. Preparation is key to shining in an audition! Mastering the art of auditioning can be continually worked on and developed over time. Self-confidence grows with time and experience.
Helpful Hints to Guide You in Your Audition Preparation – Click Here
Performance Dates and Venue:
May 17-19, 2019
Power Center for the Performing Arts
Ann Arbor, Michigan